Monday, June 14, 2010

simplicity rules

SLOVENSKO

although i announced i would share my work, i do not want that st.ju.art is only what i do, but what i appreciate as well. so let me present you this time something i find most fascinating. i believe this plain drawing will occupy a very prominent position in my all-time-favourite list. its simplicity, the so natural flow of lines, the number of those representing the hairdo, the fact that there's no line on top and that the nose and the upper lip are not connected... it is, in my opinion, perfect. full stop.

it also carries memories, and somehow serves as a link. around 10 years ago it was penned by my firstborn son - tomaž - then 15 years old. one friday evening, when we had just begun the sabbath, tomaž drew a series of caricatures of the members of his family. i don't know what he thought of it then, or thinks of it today, but i clearly was attracted to this one instantly. and i asked it from him. that's why i can show it to you now.
the original drawing (some 1.5 x 3.5 cm) was created by a common blue ink pen and depicts his mum, of course. i have never claimed that what you see here is what i see every day in reality, though. :) i have used it as a desktop picture, a letter heading, and once printed it as a big welcome-home poster when mum was about to return from a trip.

anyway, i feared that the drawing could be lost and i scanned it in maruševec while pursuing my theology studies. it was a bitmap picture at the time, so my only intervention (apart from the obvious colouring) was that i made it a vector picture here.
  
it is splendid! i just love it! i'm proud of you, tomaž!


1 comment:

  1. :) So I probably wont use this as a letterhead, but I can appreciate this drawing. I can totally see it in some children's book as an illustration..

    ReplyDelete

well, there is something you can say, i am sure.